9/15/2009

Claude's Surgery

I'm busy working on a video patient story about a man named Claude. Five-years-ago, a tumour began developing on Claude's jawbone. Today I watched as a surgeon skillfully removed it. Because the tumour was growing in the bone, the entire jaw had to be removed. Fortunately, Claude recieved a shiny, new titanium plate which will function as his jaw until he recieves a bone graft next field-service in Togo.

Having interviewed Claude in his home last week, and visited his carpentry workplace, I've developed a notable concern for his future and well-being. He's more than just a story. Watching him waking up from his anaesthetic, gagging on the breathing tube in his throat, was unsettling. So too, having his jaw placed in front of me to examine. I stared at the bone, the straight teeth, and the growth that had desecrated all of it, wondering how and why.

I thought I was going to be squeamish due to the blood and the severity of it all, but I managed to hold strong. In fact, one of the nurses next to me had to sit down because she felt queazy. Ha!

I pray Claude has a swift recovery. It will take getting used to, I'm sure. But in the long run, he's going to feel healthier, stronger, and ultimately, happier. And I shall hopefully be able to document his entire recovery process, in HD!