11/02/2009

Seasons


Back home in South Africa, I would always detest Winter. Things would become cold, dry, and barren. Here in Benin, there is but one season. As the months have passed, I have noticed little change but a slight alteration in the intensity of humidity and precipitation. Apart from that, it's always just hot.

I thought I would love the constant heat here. But I have since realised that my appreciation for Summer was born out of anticipation during those bleak Winter months. As the buds would softly and suddenly develop upon the barren branches of timber, as the light in the evening sky would become softer, and the sounds of the morning birds would become more lively, my heart would begin to lift, sensing the imminent arrival of freshness, beauty, and warmth.

I have missed that this year. Nevertheless, I have experienced my own seasons, and for the past two-months, I have been enduring my own Winter. My health has been badly affected. From colds, to sprains, to burns, to viruses; I have not felt at full-strength for sometime now. But, I am beginning to see the end. I can the see the light changing on the horizon. My Summer is dawning. I believe my Heavenly Father has a great deal of good in store for me.

Just as Winter is necessary to appreciate Summer, so is suffering necessary to appreciate blessing. If life was the same all the time, where would the contrasts that birth our emotions come from? There's no light without dark, no love without rejection, no healing without pain.

Having seen the great suffering present in the lives of so many patients that come to this hospital ship, and the many that can't be helped, I am reminded and consoled that this life is so brief and temporary. For those of us preparing for the day we see our Messiah, be reminded that all of our struggles and problems will seem so insignificant when that great and glorious reign dawns.

It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!
-Abraham Lincoln